Having recently been through a grueling new car purchase, I’m pretty convinced there has to be a better, less time consuming way.
Unfortunately deciding which vehicle to purchase is not as easy as deciding which flavored latte to order. In fact, most people spend anywhere from 6-12 months doing research, test driving and saving for down payments.
One of the ways in which I did research (let’s face it, I live on social media), was to look at various car brands on social. I was disappointed. I found many car companies (specifically luxury brands) only selling the fantasy or concept cars. What about the day-to-day use of the car and how does it enhance my daily life?
Yes, we might dream about what it would be like to have the most expensive and flashy car in the world, but purchasing a car is also about practicality regardless of brand. Aside from what it looks like to drive the car, what does it feel like? What conveniences are offered? Horsepower is great, but how does this car make my day-to-day trips from point A to B easier and more efficient?
If I were a luxury car brand using social media, I would create a campaign showcasing even the smallest of features. In between selling the dream, I would create posts that might answer the following questions:
- Where are the cup holders and what size coffee mug can it really hold?
- Are there cup holders in the doors?
- Are there heated seats in both the front and the back? And how hot do they really get?
- Have keyless entry? Then where do I put my keys when I sit down in the car?
- How can I be ergonomically correct while driving this car?
- What’s the best way to stow my laptop, workout gear and groceries when hugging corners and joining freeways?
- How do four adults on a roadtrip use the space most efficiently to maximize comfort?
I think you get my drift. As a female luxury car fan, I need to know the INs and outs of the car. I need to know if it will work for my lifestyle.
So, luxury car brands, don’t just translate your TV commercials to social. Show me all features within a car because those are what become a part of my daily routine. It's not always about the destination and the cool things to see - hopefully that is a given. It's also about arriving in style with all the things I need and the people I love. How about letting your customers drive the digital conversation?
Need a strategy for showcasing your product’s features? Contact us to learn how our social media experience can help you create a branded campaign that will effectively share your best story online.
Founder & CEO, Chipperfield Media LLC.